Red sandalwood also going by its name Pterocarpus santalinus or Raktachandan, grows in the southern-eastern ghats mountain range of South India. Other names by which red sandalwood goes are Ruby wood, Red saunders, Red sanderswood, Almug, Agaru, etc. Red sandalwood is very unlike regular sandalwood and is not aromatic. It has a combination of a bittersweet taste. Let us look at some of the benefits of Raktachandan below:
- Burns: Application of sandalwood in the burnt area helps cool the surface area and soothes the affected area.
- Acts as an antiseptic and antibacterial agent: When applied to the affected area, Red sandalwood can act as an antiseptic and helps in healing of the injury. It also prevents any occurrence of infection in the injured area.
- Wound healing properties: When applied onto minor bruises or cuts, red sandalwood can help in healing of wounds. It also helps in reducing pain and soothes the affected area.
- Removes pimple, acne or scars: Sandalwood paste helps reduce the occurrence of pimples. It also removes the scars caused due to pimples and helps improve the glow of your skin.
- Anti-aging properties: Sandalwood reduces wrinkles and sagging caused due to aging process. Sandalwood has antioxidant and detoxifying properties that prove beneficial for skin.
- Beneficial against skin diseases like Eczema: Apply sandal wood paste to the affected area for 20 minutes and wash it off for beneficial effects.
Beneficial against various diseases:
- Diabetes: Sandalwood has hypoglycemic properties. It helps improve insulin sensitivity and thus reduces blood glucose levels. Its paste can be brewed in tea and consumed for anti-hyperglycemic effects. Administration with vitamin E at the dosage of 250 mg/kg in diabetic rats significantly reduced blood sugar levels.
- Anticancer properties: Sandalwood has anti inflammatory and antioxidant properties. It helps neutralize oxidative damage and reduces inflammation. The phenolic compounds present in Raktachandan help reduce tumor cell proliferation, angiogenesis and metastasis.
- Hepatoprotective properties: Flavonoids in red sandalwood helps reduce liver damage, liver fibrosis and alcohol induced hepatotoxicity.
- Some other benefits include gastroprotective properties, hypolipedimic properties and it is also found to be beneficial against hemorrhages.