winter has come. And the incidence of dry flattened lips has increased with a decrease in daily temperature. Where India is a tropical country, this winter weather is attractive. However, if the problems related to winter cannot be overcome, then the enjoyment of happiness is disrupted. So here’s how to get rid of cold or chapped lips in winter.
The words ‘chapped’ or ‘cracked’ are used to describe the condition of dry lips. Winter brings dryness in the air and our skin becomes drier. Now, why to focus on the lips? ‘Cause there are no oil glands in the lips and to be added that this part of the lips is always in contact with the external environment. Although it is a common winter problem, if we take it further, some people may develop a more severe form of chapped lips called Cheilitis which can be due to an infection, it is characterized by cracked skin at the corners of the lips.
Cause of Dry lips:
- The lips do not have oil glands and are very sensitive to dryness. Even if the weather problem is eliminated, the lack of self-care can cause a lack of moisture to make the lips dry.
- Along with the story from the weather, a bit of humidity in the air also dries up the lips. Whether it’s a winter day or exposure under the scorching summer sun, the situation can be mitigated.
- **This is a very important human-made problem. Many people have a very bad habit of licking their own lips. And this habitual licking causes saliva to touch lips and strip their moisture, causing more dryness.
Remedies to cure dryness of lips:
- A process called exfoliation can be precisely utile here to get rid of dead skin cells from the skin surface using granular substances. Dry and pressed lips may begin to lift and peel off the skin. Exfoliating them makes it possible to get rid of dry, flaky skin and at the same time, they become a helper to bring back the shine, softness, and smoothness of the skin.
- Petroleum jelly is very efficacious for humidifying dry, chapped lips all day and even before going to bed at night. It is available online and in drug stores. In addition, the American Academy of Dermatology (AAD) also recommends the use of this white petroleum jelly.
- Drink water to stay hydrated. Dehydration occurs when our body does not have enough water or when the amount of water is less than it needs. This dehydration is a big culprit for the development of dry lips.
There are some wonderful natural resources that are very effective in curing dry lips. Some are the following:
- Coconut oil is a natural moisturizer, emollient, and lubricant. They contain healthy fatty acids that help keep the lips hydrated, also soft and supple. You can apply the oil on the lips all day long with just a cotton ball or a clean finger to get soft fluffy lips.
- Aloe vera is best known as a home remedy. It contains vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and anti-inflammatory substances that soothe and rehydrate cracked skin. All these properties of Aloe help to treat the lips and have a calming effect on the lips. Squeeze out the aloe gel from a fresh leaf and rub it lightly on your lips. Aloe vera gels are also readily available in the market.
- Honey has antibacterial properties. And it has been used for many centuries as one of nature’s best healing agents that contain a humectant. Honey can moisturize your lips and protect your chapped lips from infection. It also acts as a mild exfoliator and can help remove dry, dead skin from your lips. You can dab some honey on your fingers and apply it on your lips or use it by mixing with oil or petroleum jelly.
- Rose petals contain vitamin E which is known to possess anti-aging effects. It also makes the lips look young and beautiful. Soak the rose petals for about two or three hours then massage it to get a smooth consistency and apply it to the lips. Leave the paste on for 20 minutes and rinse the lips using cold water.
- Although this is not scientific evidence, green tea is said to contain polyphenols that have antioxidant, anti-inflammatory effects on the skin. So, many people used to put a green tea bag on their lips for healing.
- Cucumber can gently moisturize the lips and the vitamins and minerals present in cucumber can improve the appearance of the lips. So, take some cucumber pieces and rub it gently on your lips. Leave the cucumber juice for a few minutes and rinse it off.
Though the above remedies are proving to be helpful, but most importantly avoid smoking. Because tobacco smoke not only irritates sensitive skin around the lips, they are more likely to dry out and crack, but smoking can also cause other mouth problems such as mouth ulcers and gum pain.